COVID-19 Resources for the Field of Deflection
A note from PTACC’s Executive Director
A special greeting to you, the Field of Deflection and Pre-Arrest Diversion during these very difficult times that we are all going through, and that we will all be coming out of on the other side of…together.
As we have so much before us and coming at us with the COVID-19 pandemic, including many more emails than we can all get through, the PTACC National Leadership Council decided that the best thing we could do for our field would be to compile resources, guidance, and tools and make those easily available in the PTACC Ticker and on our PTACC website (www.ptaccollaborative.org). The list is sorted by our name P – T – C and all that includes such as housing, recovery, services, race, mental health, children, and more.
If you have something you are learning that our field needs to know, email us at email@example.com and we can share it with our deflection colleagues. PTACC is the national voice of and knowledge leader for deflection and pre-arrest diversion and that’s because of you and your essential service to our nation. PTACC is here for you.
Be well. Be safe.
Jac A. Charlier, M.P.A.
Police, Treatment, and Community Collaborative (PTACC)
PTACC_10 Steps Deflection and Pre-arrest Diversion Sites Can Take
DURING and AFTER The COVID-19 Pandemic
As part of an ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Police, Treatment, and Community
Collaborative (PTACC), the national voice of and nation’s knowledge leader on defection and
pre-arrest diversion, is providing to our held the 10 Steps defection and pre-arrest diversion sites
can take to continue operating DURING the pandemic, as well as 10 Steps to think about, plan,
and prepare for coming out of and AFTER the pandemic.
PTACC Deflection Resource Center Home
Police & First Responders
National and International first responder associations are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, sharing information specific to the impact of COVID-19 on law enforcement, fire departments, and EMS.
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- International Association of Fire Chiefs
- National Association of State EMS Officials
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), HHS
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Resources for First Responders and Law Enforcement
- Interim Guidance for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) for COVID-19 in the United States
- What Law Enforcement Personnel Need to Know About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- The National Police Foundation
- COVID-19 Law Enforcement Impact Dashboard to help police officials assess and monitor the impact of COVID-19 on first responders.
- COVID-19 Briefing for Law Enforcement
- Presentation on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Law Enforcement
- PTACC National Partner, the Law Enforcement Action Partnershipmaintains list of best practices for COVID-19 across the sequential intercept model.
- LEAP Webinar: Public Safety and COVID-19
PTACC National Partner, Law Enforcement Action Partnership (LEAP) hosted a webinar with Sheriff Jim Manfre (Ret.) on how law enforcement and public officials can improve public safety by significantly reducing the incarcerated population in response to the coronavirus. Here is the webinar recording and Here is a live-updated document summarizing the recommendations, providing sources on key actions in specific jurisdictions, and linking to valuable resources across the field on this issue
Treatment & Recovery
Resources for Treatment Providers
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: COVID-19: Potential Implications for Individuals with Substance Use Disorders
- National Alliance on Mental Health: NAMI HelpLine Coronavirus Information and Resources Guide.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Response and 42 CFR Part 2 Guidance – guidance to ensure that substance use disorder treatment services are uninterrupted during this public health emergency.
- Resources supporting medication-assisted treatment (MAT) in the Coronavirus environment (including quarantine)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Partner Toolkit
- Foundation for Opioid Response Efforts: Resources and archived webinars on medications for opioid use disorders during COVID-19 & future webinars weekly on Thursdays at 3:00 PM
Resources for Tele-Recovery
- Addiction Policy Forum – Free app to support people in recovery during COVID-19 outbreak
- SAMHSA’s National Helpline, 1-800-662-HELP (4357), a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders.
- Listing of more resources here.
- PTACC National Partner Community Catalyst developed this resource laying out some of the risks and some action steps for policymakers.
- Rural Health Information Hub: Rural Response to COVID-2019
- The Kennedy Forum Illinois: Free Mental Health Webinar to Help You & Your Organization During COVID-19 including strategies to help manage stress, improve self-care, and reduce isolation.
Children & Families:
- PTACC National Partner’s National Association for Children of Addiction resources: Just 4 Kids and Just 4 Teens.
- Sesame Street and Communities: Parental Addiction initiative, featuring videos, a storybook, and an interactive quilt featuring the 7 Cs.
- Teens can visit Al-Anon/Alateen to join virtual discussion groups.
- S. Department of Housing & Urban Development: COVID-19 Prevention and Response for Homeless Providers
- Includes Resources on:
- Sign up for the HUD Exchange emails to get the latest on managing homeless populations during this crisis.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Recommended Preventive Practices and FAQs for Faith-Based and Community Leaders
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Corrections & Justice System
- The Justice Management Institute
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Interim guidance for management of COVID-19 for correctional and detention facilities
- World Health Organization: Preparedness, prevention and control of COVID-19 in prisons and other places of detention.
- PAARI Survival Kits
- The Police Assisted Addiction and Recovery Initiative (P.A.A.R.I.) launched a Survival Kit program with three correctional facilities in Massachusetts in response to COVID-19. The Survival Kit program in Massachusetts will help those released from incarceration who will be at an increased risk for fatal overdose at a time of limited medical resources. Read the full news release here.
PTACC’s Global Partners: International Guidance
- Rome Consensus 2.0: Key Recommendations for Staff and Volunteers on Harm Reduction Services in the Time of COVID-19
COVID-19 Resource Clearinghouses
- National Council of State Legislators: Criminal Justice System Responses to COVID-19, a list of resources detailing action being taken by courts, law enforcement, state and local agencies and other civil and criminal justice stakeholders.
- Center for Disease Control: COVID-19
- From PTACC National Partner, LEAP- MEDIUM: What American Police Should Learn From the COVID-19 Pandemic
- From PTACC National Partner, R Street- THE HILL: Policing in an Age of Empty Streets
- THE CRIME REPORT: Assorted articles including “Rising European Domestic Violence in Pandemic Seen as Warning for US” and “Local Jails Release More Inmates As Virus Spreads”
- NPR: COVID-19 Outbreak Impacts People In Addiction Recovery
- THE HILL: Nation’s Opioid Addiction Treatment System During COVID-19 Needs Reform